Fire, Safety & Well-Being
Emergency Needs Referral
- American Red Cross - Provides emergency food, clothing, shelter, and medical assistance to needy individuals and families. To contact the Red Cross or find a shelter near you, call 1-800-REDCROSS (733-2767). To register or find a loved one on the Safe and Well List visit the following website: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php.
Housing Assistance/Personal Property
- State Supplemental Grant Program - Housing assistance such as temporary housing, repair, replacement, and permanent housing construction.
- State Supplemental Grant Program - Other Needs Assistance can cover items such as personal property, medical, dental, funeral, transportation, and moving and storage.
- These grants may be offered when assistance from FEMA's Individuals and Households Program has been maximized. Once maximized, your FEMA application is transferred to this program; there is no separate application process. Contact CA Department of Social Services, State Supplemental Grant Program at 1-800-759-6807 (TTY for hearing and speech impaired: 1-800-822-6268).
- The Department of Consumer Affairs produced the California Tenants - A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities. Information contained here can provide consumers with answers to questions about landlord/tenant issues. For a copy of this guide, please visit http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml.
- Local Assistance Centers- - To find a listing of local assistance centers, please visit the Governor's Office of Emergency Services at http://www.caloes.ca.gov/.
- American Red Cross - Provides counseling and medical assistance to needy individuals and families. To contact the Red Cross or find a shelter near you, call 1-800-REDCROSS (733-2767). To register or find a loved one on the Safe and Well List, visit the following website: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/.
- California Department of Mental Health (http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Pages/MentalHealthPrograms-Svcs.aspx) can assist individuals to get information on mental health issues that may arise due to the evacuations. 1-800-896-4042
- Licensed mental health workers willing to offer pro bono services to fire victims can call the Red Cross (571) 226-8183.
- If you suspect price gouging, contact the California Attorney General's Office at http://oag.ca.gov/ to file a complaint. 1-800-952-5225
- American Red Cross
Hurricane Katrina - Donations, Information, Safety Information Referral Line
1-800-435-7669 (1-800-Help-Now) - Donations
1-866-438-4636 (1-866-Get-Info) - Information about shelters/contacts
- The following organizations have additional information on how to give, as well as additional organizations to which you may wish to consider donating.
- Charity Navigator
- Network for Good
To find out more about giving blood, visit the American Red Cross' blood donation site or contact your local blood bank.
- California Veterinary Medical Association's Disaster Response Program is a network of volunteer veterinarians throughout California who donate veterinary care for rescuing, evacuating, treating, and sheltering animals during disasters. This network, the Disaster Response Program, operates in conjunction with local authorities, including the Office of Emergency Services, Animal Control, Red Cross, Department of Food and Agriculture, and local law enforcement. 1-800-655-2862.
Below are links to other organizations that can provide animal assistance: